First, sincere apologies for not having this up when registration began earlier today. As blog head/founder/horrible dictator, I take full blame for that mistake and I’m sorry to anyone who was baffled, confused, or otherwise put off by this sudden introduction. Sloppy on our part. My excuse is that I was too busy brutally repressing rebellions by the insidious, Luke-led factions of the blog administration.
Second: registration is here. You can register by clicking here. Your gravatar should still be the same (assuming you use the same email address and all that, of course). Our reasons for going to a registration-based site are the following (in no particular order of importance):
- This is what a recent poll of all the readers returned as the most popular option. 89 votes for, 41 against and 51 going with “Where’s my Levante Preview?”…and 30 going with “I don’t care”. Various comments across a few threads have also led us to think registration is the preferred method by the majority. I do not wish to make it sound like everyone is 100% behind this; there are several people who think negatively about it.
- It will help immensely in the fight against the spambots. Our recent financial troubles have been mainly due to the spammers, so this should hopefully keep those numbers lower.
- Flame wars are less likely. It’s no fun policing these things, so registration allows us to keep the random shit talkers out. We hope that any (and many) internet-dwellers that disagree with the posts or any comments will register so that they can talk to us in a well-meaning and intelligent fashion.
- It’s useful for us to track various things, like members/fan-base and to consider changes based on that. Polls might be more useful, for instance, in judging dedicated readership thinking.
- Probably like 8 other reasons I have forgotten because my brain is made of marshmallow.
There should be another post this week (next week at the latest) about our donation drive and future projects. I’ve got some ideas, as do several others. BFB will continue to grow, bring you the best English-language Barça commentary, and also continue to make you laugh via Banquillos, SoMa, and my attempts at serious analysis.