Since it’s silly season (almost), and we’ve got no serious posts lined up right now, let’s play a little game! I posed this question a couple of years ago, but we’ve got a lot of new people around the blog since then, so I think this would be a good time to ask again:
What is your best Barcelona XI, including any or all past players?
To make the game more challenging, a few simple rules:
1. You may not pick Messi. Unfair, I know, but it will make the selections a lot more interesting, don’t you think?
2. You may pick XI players corresponding to a typical Barça-style 4-3-3 OR 3-4-3 formation (plus GK!), one coach, and up to five subs (one of whom does not have to be another GK).
3. You can’t play someone out of position unless he actually played there on occasion. So you could play Iniesta on the LW, but not Eto’o at RB, for example.
4. Possibly future
Neymars players are not allowed. Players must have actually played for the first team.
5. Do not complain about the rules. My game, my rules. 😉
6. Your best XI is almost certainly not someone else’s best XI. Vigorous discussion is encouraged, belittlement of others’ choices is not. Just pretend we’re all down the pub having a good session.
I won’t post my own picks right now, as I haven’t thought them through since last time and I may want to make some changes. I’ll add them to this header later.
UPDATE: Here are my picks!
OK, here are my picks! And I’m also going with the 3-4-3 lineup. We just have had too many brilliant midfielders!
Dani Alves — Puyol — Gio Van Bronckhorst
Xavi — Laudrup — Iniesta
Cruyff — Ronaldo — Ronaldinho
Bench: Pep, Luis Enrique, Koeman, Eto’o, Rivaldo
Coach: Pep & Cruyff will duke it out, but I’ll put Pep in charge as player/coach.
I almost went for Zubi instead of Valdes, but Valdes really is perfect for the Barcelona system and is much better with his feet than Zubi ever was. No contest, really.